People who are fond of pet animals used to treat them as their child. Among the pet animals, hamsters are lovely one which can attract any animal lover because of their cute and gentle appearance. If you bring a hamster at your home to pass some memorable moments with it, you must take care of it.
As the guardian of it, you have to ensure all the facilities which can make your pet animal comfortable. Sharing is caring. So, if you share your happiness with your pet animal, it will also care for you and will not try to escape.
To have a better understanding of the feelings of your hamster you have to know the inch and out of how to take care of it. In this article, we are going to discuss how to take care of a hamster.
How to take care of a hamster as a beginner?
Every living being cherishes a happy and comfortable life on this earth. But very few of them get a life free from anxiety and anguish. To offer your hamster a decent life you have to be cautious on certain affairs which are discussed below:
1. The food you have to choose
A Hamster is a small animal. It eats all kinds of food usually we offer to our pet animals. But you must be very careful while choosing the menu of food for your pet. Because all the foods are not suitable for a hamster. Some food can make it ill and lead it to the path of death. Here, I am giving a list of foods which are healthy for a hamster and which are harmful to it:
- Once a day you have to feed a tablespoon of hamster food pellets to your hamster. Commercial hamster food pellets are available at a pet store or you can buy from online stores.
- Besides the pellets, you can give fresh vegetables such as Asparagus, Broccoli, Carrots (limited amount), Spinach, and Turnips.
- You can also offer them fresh fruits such as Apples, Blueberries, pears, strawberries, and peaches
- Provide wood toys or hard treats to chew which will help it to keep its teeth in good condition.
- Meats in high fat.
- Chocolates and junk foods.
- Leafy green parts of a tomato, beans, and potatoes should be avoided. They can often cause diarrhea and lead to more serious health problems.
- Onion, Peppers, and garlic can cause stomach irritation.
- All citrus fruits should be avoided because they can be too acidic.
2. A comfortable Bed which it expects
You have to arrange a cushy bed for your pet which will give it comfort while sleeping. Be careful that wooden bedding can be the reason of its discomfort. You can buy a small bed made of soft materials or you can make a homemade bed by using soft materials such as paper, cellulose fiber, etc.
3. A strong but loveable Cage
When you buy a hamster, you must ensure a beautiful small home for it with all the facilities that will help it to live well. You should also be careful that it doesn’t escape. For that, you have to buy a strong hamster cage with narrow openings as well as ample space so that it can’t escape and can explore freely into the cage.
Find a suitable place in your house to keep the cage at normal temperature so that it can be safe from excessive heat or cold. You have to put a food bowl and a water bottle that your hamster can easily reach. You must be careful that those things are kept far separated from their bedding. Because water can make its bed dirty.
You should also manage a wheel or a hamster ball that can keep your hamster healthy and fit. They can have good exercise by using these things.
4. Maintenance of your hamster
Maintenance is important because without proper care your hamster will be depressed. So you have to maintain a proper routine to make sure of its comfort. You have to clean the small home of your pet regularly. Change the water of the bottle daily so that it gets fresh water.
It will be better if you exchange the beddings after few days. Always offer fresh and nutritive foods to your hamster. While cleaning the cage you have to keep apart your hamster from it. Give it food timely. It will be best if you spend some time with it by talking to it. It will help to make a strong bond between both of you.
5. Safeguards from diseases
Hamsters are sensitive animals. They can be sick quickly if they eat unhygienic foods or get injured. If you want to give it a healthy life, be careful while choosing its food menu. We discussed this matter in an early paragraph in this article.
Have a look again. Generally, when a hamster gets injured or becomes ill, it becomes inactive and tries to hide in the corner of the cage. It can be affected by diarrhea or allergies.
If you find it uneasy and inactive, try to keep it warm and encourage it to take food or freshwater. Don’t hesitate to contact an experienced veterinarian and follow the instructions for your pet.
How to Bathe a Hamster?
Regular bathing is not necessary at all for your hamster. Rather, bathing can be seriously harmful to it as bathing can wash out its natural oils. On top of that, it can be attacked by cold fever if bathed regularly. You should avoid bathing your hamster and try to keep clean its cage and other things that it used by it.
If your hamster comes into contact with toxic chemicals or something stuck in its body, then you can think for a bathe. You can also use a damp cloth gently to make clean your hamster. Then you have to use a dry, soft towel to remove water and dampness from its body. If a water bath is necessary in case of contact with toxic elements, then follow the instructions given below:
- Take a bowl and fill it with lukewarm water in a couple of centimeters.
- Keep the water away from its face. Use a soft cloth or brush with soft bristles.
- You can use a very small amount of unscented pet shampoo to remove the toxic substance from its fur.
- Be careful that shampoo and water are kept away from its face
- After washing their bodies gently use a soft dry towel to dry your pet.
- Keep it in its cage by making sure that your hamster has enough opportunities to dry itself in the cage.
Things to Remember While Taking Care of the Hamsters
While you become a guardian of a hamster you must remember certain factors to take care of it.
- Its comfort.
- Health care.
- Feeding quality foods.
These things are essential to ensure a better life for your pet hamsters.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do hamsters live?
Syrian Hamsters live up to 2 years. Dwarf hamsters live for about 1 and a half to 2 years while Roborovski Hamsters live up to 3 years. Chinese hamsters live approximately 2 to 3 years.
Read More From Petmd.
How often should I feed and give water to my hamster?
You have to refill the bowl frequently and any uneaten fruit should be disposed of. Change the water daily.
How often should I feed and give water to my hamster?
Hamsters do not sleep during the night as they are nocturnal animals i.e: they sleep during the day and wake up during the night.
Hamster is a short-lived animal. It usually lives for two to four years. In this short span of life, it is necessary to get an adorable love from its patron. Taking care of a pet animal is like taking care of a child. If you truly want to be a savior of your pet then provide him all the opportunities to explore itself in a beautiful environment. We hope that now you know how to take care of hamsters properly.
- 1 How to take care of a hamster as a beginner?
- 1.1 1. The food you have to choose
- 1.2 2. A comfortable Bed which it expects
- 1.3 3. A strong but loveable Cage
- 1.4 4. Maintenance of your hamster
- 1.5 5. Safeguards from diseases
- 1.6 How to Bathe a Hamster?
- 1.7 Things to Remember While Taking Care of the Hamsters
- 1.8 Frequently Asked Questions
- 2 Final Thoughts