A well-planed habitat is essential for a healthy-happy hamster. A proper hamster’s cage must be big enough and equipped with some basic utensils. You have to understand the needs of your fuzzy friend for making a cozy house for him.
Spending little time before buying a cage and other equipment is wise. Then you can prepare the habitat which meets all the necessities of your new friend. It saves your money by informing you where to spend.
In this article, you will learn what kind of cage you should buy, how to place it in your home safely, and how to set up the interior of the cage. It is a complete step by step guideline. Let’s dive in.
Choose the Perfect Hamster Cage
Selecting a cage is the first and foremost step of the whole process of setting up a cage. It determines to a great extent whether your hamster is going to enjoy a happy and healthy life or not. You can buy a cage from your nearest pet store. Or you can make it by yourself. No matter you buy it or build it, you must know some basic information. Otherwise, you will harm your love unknowingly.
No worries! We are breaking down the process of getting the right cage in some easy steps for your ease. Let’s get your perfect cage with us!
Step 1: Choose the Right Type
Hamsters’ cages are available in three kinds. They are plastic cages, wire cages, and aquariums. You can select any one of them according to your taste. But consider the following aspects while going for a specific one:
- Hamsters run ceaselessly. So the material of the cage should be smooth and comfortable to their little legs.
- If you have decided to get a wired cage, check out the distance between each wire. The wire gap should be very narrow. It assures the easy movement of your friend.
- Like aquarium? Make sure the at least one side of it is made of mesh/wire. It confirms essential ventilation in the habitat.
Step 2: Select the Proper Length
After selecting the cage type, look for the appropriate length. Hamsters are designed to run massive distances. If you don’t provide enough room for movement to your pet hamster, he will get bored and stressed soon. So want to give your fuzzy friend a happy life? Gift him a big racing track. He will love and thank you forever!
The general rule of thumb for choosing a suitable size is the bigger the better. But it has to be budget-friendly as well. Hence knowing the minimum possible hamster cage size helps to choose the best habitat you can afford. Hamsters must have 360 square inches for movement. So you have to ensure that room for your little champ. But go for as big as possible. Remember it’s really important to him.
Step 3: Prioritize Cleaning Convenience
Have you decided on the length? Now, look for the last thing. Hamster’s habitat highly depends on the immaculate surroundings. So you have to clean the cage often. Checking out if it is easy to clean or not before purchasing, it is wise. Don’t know how can you clean your hamster cage? Here’s a guide for you on cleaning a hamster cage.
Now you are ready to go home with a perfect cage smilingly!
Put the Cage in the Right Place
Now you have to choose a proper spot for keeping the cage. Do it consciously. You have to create a comfortable environment for your cute friend if you want to see your pet healthy and happy. Here is a checklist to consider when you are selecting the place:
- You can keep it both at your home or outside. Want to keep it at home near to you? Choose the room wisely. Don’t keep it in your bedroom. Hamsters are nocturnal. They will become very active at night while you are sleeping. It may hinder your sleeping. Also avoid the kitchen because of sanitary issues. Any other room like a living room or family room can be a good choice. If you prefer outdoor, you can keep it in your garden, garage or any other places you want. You have to save your friend from cold and direct sunlight in this case. A thicker bed is also necessary.
- Hamsters need a temperate environment. The ideal temperature for them is room temperature- 65 to 75 degrees. So don’t set the cage in a cold place such as an unheated room, mudroom, or walk away. Avoid hot places like under direct sunlight, beside a radiator, or any heat sources as well.
- Loud sound bothers them. Don’t keep them near to sound sources such as TV, PC, Sound box, etc.
- The lighting of the room should be suitable for them. Don’t put it in a room where the light goes on and off frequently at night.
Set Up the Interior of the House
Put little effort to turn the cage into a comfortable and exiting home for your love. For that follow the to-do list:
- Make Cozy Bedding:
You can use hardwood savings, crumpled papers, or any premium quality paper for your hamster bedding. But don’t go for pine or cider substrates. They can intoxicate your pet.
You can use a bowl or do scatter feeding. Scatter feeding makes eating more naturalistic and adventurous for hamsters. Even so, the habitat gets dirty quickly in this way. It is recommendable if you keep a pair of dwarf hamsters as it prevents them from fighting.
On the other hand, using a food bowl allows you to count the amount of hamster food you are providing. It keeps the habitat clean as well. It is preferable for the Syrian of Chinese hamsters. Also, don’t forget to add a water bottle or bowl.
- Hamsters’ Habitat Must Have a Wheel At Least:
Hamsters are energetic and active creatures. They need plenty of exercise. Keep a wheel as his treadmill. The wheel should be big enough for your pet. Otherwise, he will run in an uncomfortable hunch back posture. The recommended size is:
- Dwarf hamsters- 6.5 to 8 inches.
- Chinese hamsters- 8 inches.
- Larger hamsters like Syrian hamsters- 12 inches.
- Hiding Is Rooted In Their Instinct:
They do it for saving them from predators in the jungle. Putting a tunnel or hideaway creates a natural vibe in the cage. Give him a hidden hole that is made for hamsters, not for any other animals or kids toy.
Include some hamster toys. They will keep your friend animated and alleviate boredom and stress. Scatter some chew toys or wooden blocks in the habitat.
You must be wise and calculating while it comes to setting up the hamster cage at the right place. Make sure that the cage is well-ventilated and spacious enough to accommodate them properly. If you can follow the steps given above, you can surely gift your loving pets a comfortable home of their own.
Always notice if your hamsters are animated or not. If they get bored and stressed, they will not grow well and live longer. You can give them new toys from time to time to add excitement in their lives. Cleaning the habitat sometimes is also necessary to keep your love healthy.