Every pet ferret has about 5 to 10 years of lifespan. Do you know most of them cannot live for more than 3 years, Why? – Lack of proper care! Proper care includes – ferret bathe, healthy feed, and more.
Since bathe is one of the major factors of proper care, there is a question:
Does lack of a proper bath reduce the ferret lifespan?
Yes, if you don’t use suitable shampoo for your ferret, there is a high chance of skin damage. It even results in death. Now what is the best ferret shampoo for a proper bath? I will suggest this to you here.
Trust me! My suggestion will change your ferret parenting life, but there are some downsides. Don’t worry; you will know that soon.
For now, just take a look at Begley’s Natural No-Rinse Waterless Shampoo -If you are in a hurry. Still, if you have enough time, buckle up. Here I am answering the question..
Okay, I read 15 articles and 5 research papers on ferrets. The resources said that every animal produces an individual smell.
This is for identifying the other animals, or fellows. And ferrets are not beyond that. Sometimes they produce a musky scent that becomes uncomfortable for pet owners.
Then they take their little guy to the bathtub and start to give a sweet shower. This showering procedure runs every week, or twice a week for some owners.
Is it worth giving a frequent shower to your ferret?
No! If you are doing this, stop now. This is one of the reasons for reducing the ferret’s lifespan. Why? Ferrets’ skin produces a special oil to keep their fur and skin lubricated.
This is a natural antibody to keep its skin fit. When you frequently give shower them, their skin dries out the oil. It results -itchy skin, hair fall, and later causes skin cancer.
So, should you stop bathing your ferret?
Nope. You need to know: when to bathe? Here are some tips of ferret bathing.
- If your pet is surrounded with dirt.
- Or the ferret is too messy for a disorganized cage.
These two symptoms are enough to decide whether your pet needs a bath or not. If the cute little guy needs a fresh shower, consider the shampoo first. In the coming section, I have recommended two types of ferret shampoos. They are:
- Shampoos you should avoid.
- Shampoos you should buy.
Shampoos you should avoid:
Most pet owners use dog and cat shampoos for their ferret bathe. Don’t use this shampoo for your ferret. They are harsh chemicals for your pet’s skin. Look, dog and cat skins are different from ferret skin. Their skin oil is stronger than a ferret. This means using this shampoo on your ferret can cause skin disease. So, here is the list of some ferret shampoos you should avoid for the ferret. You can use this for cats or dogs. Here is the review.
1. Pro Pet Works All Natural Organic Oatmeal Pet Shampoo
- Organic ingredients.
- Flea treatments
- Keep the dog and cat fresh
- Easy to dilute
- Perfect for dry, sensitive and itchy skin
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Soap-free and Vitamin E
This shampoo is made for dog and cat skin. Although the manufacturer said that: it is also compatible for ferrets. But I don’t recommend it. Why?
Most of the pet owners said -this product recovers the dry and itchy skin of their dog, not ferret. Since the ferret skin is different from other pets, I don’t think it’s wise to take risks.
However, I recommend this product to cat and dog owners like my sister. Missy used this natural shampoo and conditioner for her dog.
It smells good and cleans the dirt -including inner bacteria. For this detailed cleaning, the shampoo has all natural ingredients like -almond and aloe vera.
2. ArfArf Anti ltch & Allay Irritation Oatmeal Shampoo
- Perfect for sensitive and dry skin.
- It suits all dog skin.
- No SLS, Alcohol and artificial ingredients.
- Removes ferret odors.
- Ally Irritation shampoo.
- Infection protected.
Don’t try this product. That is the first statement about this product. Why? I tried it on my ferret to recover her itchy skin. It did not recover; rather, my baby experienced a good amount of hair fall.
Wait! Do you think I am demotivating you? No! I am just sharing my experience. A few months back, my ferret experienced severe itchy skin. She stopped everything for that. Her situation made me mad.
So I applied this shampoo by reading reviews. That was my worst decision. I don’t want you to walk the same way as me. It’s better to use this shampoo for your dog or cat.
It works great for them. Missy used it on her furry dog “Rylie”. She was suffering from skin problems. And this shampoo relieved her from that. It has an organic allergy and itchy skin protection.
Plus, your dog will stay fresh for 30 days with glowing skin. Trust me! Its a medicine more than a shampoo.
Shampoos you should buy:
Instead of using the earlier pet shampoos, use the following ferret shampoo. Here is the list:
3. Begley’s Natural No-Rinse Waterless Shampoo
- Four available scent options.
- Spray type waterless shampoo.
- It keeps the rabbit coat shiny.
- Environment friendly.
- Deodorize and clean the pet.
Using this shampoo saved a lot of time. How? I did not need extra preparation for my ferret to bathe. I use this shampoo when I am traveling. So, why did I choose this?
This shampoo has organic ingredients. It does not contain -synthetic fragrances, phosphates, phthalates, formaldehyde, or any other toxic material.
The next reason is: just spray and rinse. Whenever my pet gets messy, I spray it on them and rinse them with dry clothes. Enough! In a word, it’s easy to use.
4. Organic All Natural Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner
- Improve damaged skin
- Moisturize ferret’s skin
- Heals the irritated skin
- Alcohol and detergent-free
- Perfect for all animal
- Apple scent
- Keeps coat shiny
Unlike the other shampoos, this one is unique. It reflects deep research through its product. For example, the ingredients are all organic. If you look at the ingredients, all of them are natural cures for the skin.
For many years, oat proteins, aloe vera, and baking soda are used for healing skin problems. This manufacturer followed the same way. But they made some slight changes by consulting with a professional vet.
What are those changes? They worked on smells, skin damage recovery and a lot more. These changes could not make this shampoo tearless. You can consider this a weak point, other than that this is -just fine.
5. Petpost Ferret Shampoo
- Cleans the stubborn odor.
- Safflower oil.
- Perfect for a shiny coat.
- Environment friendly
- Keep the skin healthy.
- Makes the fur soft.
This one is so far the best shampoo I have used. It is made for ferrets and recommended by the vets. Why? The ingredients are all organic and made from natural safflower oil.
These types of natural oils make the fur soft and keep the skin irritation-free. Since it’s recommended to give baths 3 to 4 times in a year, I think this shampoo can keep your pet’s skin safe for that time.
It can even improve the coating and protect it from infection. So, I recommend this shampoo for your ferret.
6. 8 In 1 Ferretsheen 2-in-1 Deodorizing Shampoo
- Microencapsulated enzymes.
- Jojoba oil.
- Aloe vera.
- Durable scent.
- Keeps the coat shiny and healthy.
- Deodorize the skin.
There is a misconception on deodorizing shampoo. And the concept is: this sort of shampoo keeps the pet shiny. This is wrong.
The right is: deodorizing shampoo kills the toxic from your mammal’s fur. This toxicity creates odor, which results in serious skin problems. It can even lead to skin cancer.
So, using a shampoo like this can save you, because it has Microencapsulated enzymes. This enzyme kills the odor to keep your pet fresh and healthy.
Plus, it will make the skin coat shiny. This is possible for aloe vera and jojoba oil. No doubt, this one is another best-selling shampoo.
7. MOKAI Tearless Shampoo
- Keeps the skin soft and fluffy.
- It contains protein and aloe vera.
- Perfect for controlling flea.
- Alcohol, soap and cruelty-free.
- Proper for baby animals.
- Itch protected.
- Tearless shampoo.
It has been seen that: the manufacturer is investing a lot of bucks inside pet research. And this analysis results in some great products. Mokai is one of them.
It has all the essential elements that your ferrets need. Let’s start with the ingredients. All the ingredients – aloe vera, protein are best for healthy skin.
A healthy skin represents -itch proof, shiny, and flea-free. And this shampoo ensures all the safety I have mentioned. If you give a monthly shower to your pet, this shampoo is good to go.
8. Ferret Shampoo 8 Oz
- Baking soda
- Natural herbs
- It does not strip the body oil
- Odor control
- Makes the skin soft and fluffy.
- It smells fresh.
One of the major issues in regular ferret bathing is a constant bathing strip of the body oil. It results -itchy skin, hair fall and more. And that is why many parents are over-conscious in selecting a shampoo.
So, dear parents don’t worry. This shampoo does not strip off body oil. Instead, it balances the oil and keeps the skin healthy. Using this shampoo will make your furry guy adorable and flea-free. Just relax and grab this shampoo. It’s good.
9. Kaytee Shampoos and Conditioners
- Removes the odor.
- It lasts for a long time.
- Kills harmful enzymes.
- Revives the skin from damage.
- Perfect for rabbit, guinea pig and ferret.
Regular shampoos and conditioner care about hair. But Kaytee shampoo has taken this one step ahead. They designed this product to cure skin damage and itchy skin.
It will not only cure skin problems but also spreads a fresh smell to the fur. This fragrance lasts for a long time. So, you don’t have to worry about a regular shower. Once you give a bath, it’s good enough for one and a half months.
10. Marshall Pet Ferret Coat Conditioner
- Odor control.
- Aloe vera for skincare.
- Nice smells.
- Best for babies.
Spray conditioners are getting famous day by day for its flexibility. These types of conditioners are less time-consuming and easy to use. For example, you can use it during travel or when you are in a rush.
And Marshall could understand this demand. So, they made a fantastic product. The product keeps the fur shiny and healthy. It also protects the skin from irritation and damages.
Just spray on the skin, rinse gently. Then dry up the fur with a clean cloth. Nice work! Your pet is clean and safe now.
11. Marshalls Tea Tree Ferret Shampoo and Spray
- Made from tea tree oil.
- Keeps the fur fluffy and soft.
- Protect the skin from damage.
- Stop hair fall.
- Perfect for sensitive skin.
- Scientifically proved.
Most of my reviewed shampoos for ferrets were in a single bottle. But this time it’s different. This product comes with two unique bottles. One is with shampoo another is with conditioner.
Now, what makes this different? The ingredients! It has Aloe vera, tea tree oil, and other natural herbs. These combinations aim to keep the skin healthy. Healthy skin means itch protected, irritation-free and more. So, if your baby needs a shiny groom, take it.
Best ferret shampoo: Ultimate buying guide for ferret owners
Here is the buying guide for selecting the best ferret shampoo. I considered the following factors before purchasing.
Know the skin tone:
First, you should know your ferret’s skin tone. All ferrets are not born with the same akin tone. Some of them have allergies to specific products. Or some of them don’t have that. So, go to your vet and know the skin tone.
Check the ingredients:
Every shampoo manufacturer declares its ingredients on the product label. This is because of safety. So, check the product ingredients and ask yourself: is it suitable for my pet? Or you can contact your vet for that.
Reviews from others:
There are a lot of forums like Reddit, Quora, and others. Go there and ask for a review on your desired product. Remember, there are some agents. To avoid them, seek professional help.
Shampoos for ferrets do not need a hefty budget. Still, some teens might have limited budgets. I recommend them to take expert guidance. Never try by hearing something. This will lead your pet into a deadly situation.
Is ferret shampoo safe for guinea pigs?
Yes, ferret shampoo is completely safe for your guinea pigs. You will find ferret shampoo in the market, which has aloe vera added. We would recommend you use those as they will protect the skin from drying out.
Tips For Grooming and Bathing Ferrets
Keeping yourself and your household clean means a lot to you. Also, we believe your ferret is like your family member so, their hygiene is also important to you. Let’s have a look at some essential tips to keep your ferret clean and tidy:
- Keep a close eye on your ferret behaviors and mood. If you notice anything unnatural such as they are expressing comfortlessness or disturbance, then you might wanna check on their hygiene. Giving them a fresh bath might help.
- Trim your ferret’s nail once a week. Their nails grow super-fast so, trimming those on regular basis is a crying need. One good reminder here, be careful when trimming their nails as you might unknowingly hurt the red vein inside their nail, and that’s not good at all.
- Brushing teeth is also essential for a ferret, same as you. No, they don’t require it daily. Minimum once every two weeks will be fine. But never ever use your toothpaste to brush their teeth. You will find ferret-friendly toothpaste in the market.
- You got to clean your ferret ears at least once every two weeks. Use a ferret ear cleaning solution to dampen a swab or cotton ball. Wipe off the debris from their outer ear as gently as possible.
- Bathing your ferret is a brainer as you don’t have to do it often. Bathing them at least once every three months is enough. Your ferret will always have this earthy and musky scent, and it’s totally natural. So, don’t go bathe the smell out of them, it will just make things worse.
Tips for caring your ferret:
- Clean the ferret cage regularly.
- Feed them fresh food.
- Don’t forget to take regular checkups.
- Ensure enough water and entertainment.
- Change the food and water trice in a week.
So, my entire article covered a lot of sections, right? Now, what is the reason behind these sections? I wanted to show you the best ferret shampoo for your convenience. In this market, there are a lot of shampoos.
Are all of them worth buying? No! Reviews like mine can help you to choose the right shampoo. I have found my best product. Did you?
If the answer is no, analyze my review and answer: was my shampoo worth buying?
- 0.1 Does lack of a proper bath reduce the ferret lifespan?
- 0.2 Is it worth giving a frequent shower to your ferret?
- 0.3 So, should you stop bathing your ferret?
- 1 Shampoos you should avoid:
- 2 Shampoos you should buy:
- 2.1 3. Begley’s Natural No-Rinse Waterless Shampoo
- 2.2 4. Organic All Natural Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner
- 2.3 5. Petpost Ferret Shampoo
- 2.4 6. 8 In 1 Ferretsheen 2-in-1 Deodorizing Shampoo
- 2.5 7. MOKAI Tearless Shampoo
- 2.6 8. Ferret Shampoo 8 Oz
- 2.7 9. Kaytee Shampoos and Conditioners
- 2.8 10. Marshall Pet Ferret Coat Conditioner
- 2.9 11. Marshalls Tea Tree Ferret Shampoo and Spray
- 3 Best ferret shampoo: Ultimate buying guide for ferret owners
- 4 Conclusion